Kelly Morse Nowicki, MA (Mayo Clinic); Henry Ting, MD, MBA; Richard A. Berger, MD, PhD (Mayo Clinic)
Healthcare organizations are engaged in quality improvement (QI) and lifelong learning (LLL) activities to improve patient outcomes. Historically, these activities are usually not recognized as meeting ABMS specialty board requirements for maintenance of certification (MOC). Mayo Clinic has developed a coordinated approach to align education and quality improvement activities with certification board requirements.
Healthcare organizations are engaged in QI and LLL activities to improve patient outcomes. Historically, these activities are usually not recognized as meeting ABMS specialty board requirements for MOC. Mayo Clinic has developed a coordinated approach to align institutional and education activities with certification board educations starting first with quality improvement activities.
The Mayo School of Continuous Professional Development designed and implemented a program to coordinate QI activities with QI education and QI oversight to grant credit (CME and MOC) recognized by the certification boards. The Quality Academy (QA) provides just-in-time education of QI methodology, and the Quality Review Board (QRB) provides oversight to assess whether QI projects do or do not meet internal standards for core elements of QI projects. Taken together, the QA and QRB strategically aligns education, organizational quality infrastructure, and physician professional development to promote a transformation to a culture of quality. This model has proven as a successful template for other institutional approaches to MOC. The innovative components include:
- Developing QI oversight (structure, process, standards for awarding CME and MOC credit)
- Providing just-in-time QI support and education in a feed-forward, embedded, and feed-back process.
- Review MOC requirements of certification boards and LLL by highlighting opportunities through the lens of a healthcare organization
- Review Mayo Clinic QI oversight program
- Review Mayo Clinic QI education program
- Leveraging the above with MOC credit (learning and self-assessment) into CME activities.
- Facilitate discussion on applying learnings to other areas of institutional alignment.
Time will be reserved for discussion.
This work has been funded by the Mayo Clinic.